Earn CLE Credit in England this Summer *
About the Conference
This five-day program held at Jesus College, Cambridge University explores the essential contemporary and historical attributes of American, English, and European law in a wide-ranging discussion among distinguished jurists, academic leaders, and practicing lawyers in this 800th anniversary of Magna Carta.
Cambridge University is the second-oldest university in both the United Kingdom and the English-speaking world. Law has been taught there for many centuries and the present law faculty building, built in 1840, houses one of the best law libraries in Great Britain.
Although Jesus College was founded in 1496, it is unique in as much as the Chapel and other buildings date from the 12th and 13th centuries and were originally the Benedictine Convent of St. Mary and St. Radegund. The College is centrally located in Cambridge and consists of some of the most spacious and beautiful grounds in Cambridge.
*Approved in PA, VA & WV (12 hours - including 2 Ethics hours)
Sunday, August 2, 2015
- 2:00 - 5:00PM: Registration/Check-In, Jesus College
- 7:00PM: Dinner, Jesus College
Monday, August 3, 2015: 9:00AM - 1:15PM* (Lunch will be served for this Monday session)
- State and Federal Grand Jury Practice in Comparison
Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas Judge Gary S. Glazer
- Ethics: Virginia's Disciplinary Process - A Primer on Disciplinary Proceedings before a Three-Judge Panel
Retired Virginia Circuit Judge Ann Hunter Simpson
- Ethics: Legal Duties and Legal Ethics in Pennsylvania
Justice J. Michael Eakin, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Tuesday, August 4, 2015: 9:00AM - 12:15PM*
- Unity and Disunity in European Union Law
Professor Catherine Barnard, Professor of European Union Law; Co-director of CELS; Jean Monnet Chair of EU Law, University of Cambridge School of Law
Wednesday, August 5, 2015: 9:00AM - 12:15PM*
- American and Global Constitutional Challenges
Professor Charles F. Abernathy, Professor of Law, Georgetown Law
- 7:00PM Dinner
Thursday, August 6, 2015: 9:00AM - 12:15PM*
- The Secular State, Religion and the Law in the 21st Century?
Sir Anthony Holland, U.K. Financial Services Complaints Commissioner, Speakers Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
- Reflections on English and American Jurisprudence
Panel Discussion: Sir Anthony Holland, Justice J. Michael Eakin , Professor Charles Abernathy, Judge Ann Hunter Simpson, Judge Gary Glazer
Friday, August 7, 2015
- NO CLASS; BREAKFAST for those staying in Jesus College