Students travel abroad to serve Children's Home in Argentina
Jessica Sumpter, senior admissions counselor at Waynesburg University, will lead a group of eight Waynesburg students to San Nicolas, Argentina, from Friday, May 4 to Wednesday, May 16.
The students will serve at the Sunrise Children’s Home of Argentina and will provide a day camp for the children. The group will complete maintenance projects for the Home, an orphanage that houses more than 70 children ranging from infants to 18 years of age.
“These children do not receive a lot of personal attention and other work groups that volunteer usually do construction work,” Sumpter said. “So we are able to provide a unique service experience where we give personal attention that the kids need, but seldom get.”
The group will learn about the lives of the children, the operations of the orphanage, Argentinian culture and how to plan and operate a day camp. They will also lead the Home’s worship service that week.
“The students participating will have the opportunity to develop relationships with the children of the home and show them love,” Sumpter said. “This experience will help our Waynesburg University students grow in their spiritual lives and relational skills. The students will also experience a different culture through trips to a local city with the older children of the orphanage.”
Students attending the mission service trip include:
- Cortney Baltimore, a sophomore history major from Lone Tree, Colo. (Front Range Christian School)
- Kimber Blair, a sophomore interactive design major from New Castle, Pa. (Laurel Junior – Senior High School)
- Anthony Cooper, a junior sociology (pre-law) major from Lewisburg, Pa. (Lewisburg Area High School)
- Bethany Costello, a sophomore nursing major from Ringtown, Pa. (North Schuykill Junior –Senior High)
- Emily Friedman, a junior nursing major from Pittsburgh, Pa. (Serra District Catholic High School)
- Chelsea Shaffer, a junior interactive design major from West Milton, Pa. (Meadowbrook Christian School)
- Paige Shifflet, a sophomore early childhood (special) education major from Bloomsburg, Pa. (Bloomsburg Area High School)
- Nikolai Wojciechowski, a junior history major from Latrobe, Pa. (Greater Latrobe High School)