Dave Calvario, director of the Center for Service Leadership, will lead nine Waynesburg University students to Camden, N.J., from Saturday, May 5 to Saturday, May 12 to serve with Urban Promise, a faith-based after school and summer camp program that aims to equip children and teens with skills for academic achievement, life management, spiritual growth and leadership.
“Urban Promise has invested in the youth of Camden for almost 25 years,” Calvario said. “As a Christian organization, Urban Promise is teaching what it means to care for and love each other, while developing the next generation of leaders for Camden.”
Service will consist of working with children in Urban Promise’s kindergarten through 12th grade school as well as its after school program. Waynesburg students will assist with homework, spiritual development, arts and crafts and athletic games.
“For us, Urban Promise provides an urban teaching experience while exposing us to the challenges facing many cities across America,” Calvario said. “Urban Promise is a great fit for our University, and some day we hope students from Urban Promise will attend Waynesburg University as our partnership grows.”
Remaining time will be spent on labor projects in Urban Promise’s school and other ministries. Students will learn about the city of Camden and the poverty and social justice issues that exist there.
Students participating in this mission trip include:
- Shannon Bartley, a junior childhood (special) education major from Parker, Pa. (Allegheny-Clarion Valley High School)
- Kaitlyn Berkebile, a sophomore early childhood (special) education major from Friedens, Pa. (Somerset Area Senior High School)
- Ethan Hacker, a senior biblical ministry studies (children and youth) major from Butler, Pa. (Knoch Senior High School)
- Sean Hunt, a senior exercise science (wellness/physiology) major from Coraopolis, Pa. (Cornell High School)
- Andrew Juntunen, a junior exercise science (wellness/physiology) major from Shingle Springs, Calif. (Home-schooled)
- Jacob Richie, a senior biblical ministry studies (music ministry) major from Stockdale, Pa. (Charleroi Area High School)
- Cherylynn Shird, a sophomore exploring major from Washington, D.C. (Kamit Institution for Magnificent Achievers)
- Stephanie Stancliffe, a freshman early childhood education major from Lower Burrell, Pa. (Burrell High School)
- Bethany Taylor, a junior early childhood (special) education major from Harrison City, Pa. (Penn-Trafford High School)