From Sunday, January 6 to Friday, January 11, ten students and trip leader Dr. Terri Small, professor of nursing at Waynesburg University, will hold a health clinic at Victory Chapel Church of the Nazarene in Nassau, Bahamas. This will be the University’s sixth medical mission trip and its third to the Bahamas.
Joining the team as additional trip leaders will be Small’s husband, Steve, a registered pharmacist, and Drew Cubic, a practicing registered nurse and 2011 Waynesburg University graduate. This year’s service mission team will follow similar procedures from past years by providing health screenings and medications to Haitian refugees living in Nassau.
“I anticipate that the trip will be very rewarding, as in the past, and I expect all to be blessed by the people we serve,” Small said.
Most Haitian refugees have little or no access to health care in Nassau. By partnering with Mission Academy, a student ministries short-term mission trip organization, Waynesburg University nursing students will have the opportunity to serve this population. The students will apply their nursing skills accumulated through their semesters at Waynesburg.
“Pastor Antoine St. Louis, the senior pastor and teacher at the church we serve, is quite inspiring,” said Small. “Students previously described him as having ‘dancing eyes and a spirit we'd like to bottle and bring home with us.’”
Students participating in the mission service trip include:
- Mary Chory, junior nursing major from Bobtown, Pa. (Mapletown High School)
- Myriah Cox, junior nursing major from Mt. Morris, Pa. (Waynesburg Central High School)
- Rachel Handley, junior nursing major from Dillsburg, Pa. (Christian Liberty Academy)
- Julie James, junior nursing major from Conneaut Lake, Pa. (Conneaut Area High School)
- Bekah Jardine, junior nursing major from Kittery, Maine (Seacoast Christian School)
- Kiersha Keller, junior nursing major from Palmyra, Pa. (North Lebanon High School)
- Olivia Knowlson, junior nursing major from Washington, Pa. (Trinity High School)
- Samantha Maize, junior nursing major from Finleyville, Pa. (Bentworth High School)
- Shayla Mitrik, junior nursing major from Pittsburgh, Pa. (North Catholic High School)
- Carri Sneller, junior nursing major from Waynesburg, Pa. (Trinity High School)
Contact: Ashley Wise, Communication Specialist
724.852.7675 or email@example.com